Garner Park Ranch in Stephenville, Texas, was originally known as Garner State Park and Stephenville State Park.
The park was built in 1933 by the newly established Civilian Conservation Corps, which employed construction workers to build public works projects throughout the United States during the Great Depression.
The purchase of the land for this park was made possible by funds donated by the people of Morgan Mills and Stephenville. The park was named for Vice President John Nance Garner of Uvade, Texas, and later renamed Stephenville State Park.
Original construction included a pavilion, lake and camping facilities. In 1948, the park was closed and returned to the Collier Ranch, the original donor of the site to the CCC.
The park and contiguous land was operated as a part of Collier Ranch until 1980, at which time the ranchland and park were acquired by the current owners, who changed the name to Garner Park Ranch. They have maintained the ranch for conservation, wildlife and historic preservation.
The 1,042 acre ranch is high fenced with two lakes and three smaller ponds or stock tanks. The ranch sits over an aquifer with two deep wells that serve the pavilion, houses and corrals. Parts of the ranch terrain are very rugged and much like the Hill Country.
There are 40+\- acres of land that have been established and maintained for food plots and cultivated fields. Additionally, for more than 10 years, the ranch has had a Level 3 Managed Lands Deer Permit (MLDP) for white-tailed deer.
The ranch is on Highway 281 southwest of the Fort Worth/Dallas Metroplex – an hour from Fort Worth, and one hour and forty-five minutes from Dallas.
For more ranthroughout the Metroplex, see briggsfreeman.com. Click here to see the latest in real estate news. President and CEO Robbie Briggs independently owns and operates Briggs Freeman Sotheby’s International Realty with seven offices in Dallas, Fort Worth, Uptown, Lakewood, Ranch and Land, The Ballpark and Southlake.